Tuesday 9 November 2010

Keepin my hair dry

Theres a scene in Frankenstein where ‘Frank’ is hooked up to all these wires on his head and ‘Stein’ is fiddling with all these flashing lights and pressing buttons reading his brain waves….well it ain’t no horror movie. So last week I went for my EEG scan (Electroencephalography) so see if all my waves were firing on all cylinders. It essentially consists of what looks like a big shower cap with about 60 electrodes sticking through it which they then attached to my head which in turn is attached to a polygraph style machine which spews out a scribbly line – ‘I didn’t hurt her….i didn’t hurt her…..’ (obscure league of gentlemen quote there for you) They have to measure me at rest, asleep and active which was lucky cos that’s pretty much what my day consists of. Mainly sleep granted, but since I started jogging I’m actually rather awake quite a lot of the time too….Anyway back to the wired up shower cap – and I would just like to say at this point – have you ever seen anyone look good in a shower cap? No neither have I. I looked like a right nob. But the reason I was actually going through this humiliation was because I had a habit of staring down a bit more than just trying to see what shoes I was wearing. Now this on its own could well be a condition of prematurity – the eyes develop the most in the last 10 weeks of chillin out – obviously I didn’t get to do that much so therefore my eyes will take a little time to warm up so to speak. But the other thing that could cause this ‘sunsetting’ is a particularly nasty thing called hydrocephalus which can be caused by the CSF – central spinal fluid to the layman – not draining out of the ventricles in the brain and creating a pressure that turns the eyes down (plus other significant issues) and because I had my IVH (intra ventricular haemomorage) when I was born (ooo its just like the old days this with all these medical references) the docs felt they had to check it out and I suppose tick off what it might or might not be.  In the good of US of A we would call this EI (early intervention) but here we call it…erm…yeh maybe he should have  a scan…anyway to cut what has turned into quite a long story which was meant to be an amusing anecdote about shower caps…..the result was….drum roll please……. I do have a brain!! Hurrah. And actually it’s a rather lovely one too with ‘good symmetry’ and something else good which I can’t quite remember right now - although that is only the opinion of the gal who did the test so we have to wait till she looks at her books and checks back with the neurologist before we get the all clear….

But in a latest breaking news stylee…since the scan I have decided there is so much more to look at than my shoes so am looking far more up and around and straight ahead. Occasionaly I stare at my shoes….but that’s just to mess with M&D’s heads…..hahahah suckers!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Little Dude. Great news on the brain. Being a man (little man) you will get accused in later life by the other gender (birds) of not having a brain. Make sure you take this evidence with you that you have a perfect brain. That'll show em! Love and peace LD. Jonnydude

    ReplyDelete