Thursday 17 June 2010

What's it all about Alfie?


Lying in my greenhouse the other night I started thinking about my life. Yes, a little too early for an autobiography but it’s a strange world I inhabit. It’s a world I should never have known about. I should be still floating around in my amniotic fluid having a right old time. But instead I lie here connected to a monitor to measure my respiration rate, the oxygenation levels in my blood, my heart rate  and blood pressure. I have another monitor that measures the shallowness of my breath. I have a canula in the back of my hand inserted in my vein to give me my antibiotics which is strapped to a paddle so I can’t bend my arm, a feeding tube down to my stomach where every time they feed me I have reflux which is like a really sore heartburn – and they feed me every two hours -  an oxygen prong up my nose which fizzes and makes it sounds like you’re constantly on board a plane. On top of that I’m prodded by doctors twice a day who then stand over me and talk about me. Hello I am here you know. I’m flipped onto different sides, I’m routinely given some sort of scan, they measure my head, they measure my stomach, they stab my feet with needles and squeeze blood out of them. I tell you, at the end of the day, it all just seems, well a bit unfair. Its unfair on me, its unfair on M&D. So I sit here in my greenhouse and look at all the others in the room, all from different backgrounds and all with different stories and I realize sometimes you just have to accept it. You have been dealt your lot so get on with it. There’s no point wishing for something else or thinking ‘if only’ as none of these things will change the fact that I’m here, sitting in my greenhouse. But that’s the important thing. I am here, and I’m doing ok and at some point I’ll go home. And as ester rantzen used to say, ‘that’s life’.

3 comments:

  1. Well said Alfie, you are doing well and we're all cheering for you - carry on getting bigger and soon you'll go to your own home (when the time comes make sure Dad doesn't drive home on that old banger he calls a 4x4, not where you want to be when he hits a bump).

    ReplyDelete
  2. and its all going to be worth while little man, you will be so loved. Rough at the moment, I know but just wait and see what life will be like when you get home with M&D and Jerry and George, we might pop round as well on the odd occasion. Gayle & Jon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember Alfie, when you are older you will not remember any of this thankfully. Lots of Love Auntie Em xxx

    ReplyDelete